When we think of Hawaii it is of balmy weather and beautiful beaches. Hurricanes are rare but they can threaten these Islands during the months of June thru November. Hurricanes that threaten Hawaii form due to air temperature differences over the eastern Pacific Ocean. When water temperatures are 75 to 80 degrees and cool air meets warm air over the ocean, the warm air moves sideways and upward due to its lighter density. More cool air flows in to take its place, intensifying the wind speed. Only four hurricanes have caused serious damage in Hawaii since 1950.
2014 Hawaii Hurricane Predictions
The 2014 Hurricane Outlook from NOAA predicts a normal to above normal season. This has increased due to the likely development of El Nino conditions this summer and is the first change to the otherwise less than normal likelihood of hurricanes which began in 1995.
- First aid kit.
- Essential medications with a supply that’s adequate should something unforeseen occur which extends your Hawaii vacation.
- Water and non-perishable food on hand during your trip. Remember that stores shelves empty almost immediately if the possibility of a hurricane occurs.
- Should the likelihood of a Hawaii hurricane exist, airlines may permit you to change your Hawaii vacation plans.
- Travel insurance is always something to at least consider because you can obtain protection for substantial, non-refundable expenses. Hawaii travel insurance must be bought prior to the development of a specific hurricane to be in effect. Read more about Travel Insurance below as it is always good to be prepared.
- Car gas tank kept at one-half or more. Propane tanks kept towards full.
- Plastic tarps and plywood for emergencies.
- Clean unused trash cans for drinking water storage.
- More food supplies than normal.
- An electric generator that is tested.
- Extra batteries and a working radio.
- Current first aid and medical supplies on hand.
- Cash for emergencies.
When your planning that Hawaii Vacation contact us. Let our knowledge of Working and Playing in these Islands for over 30 years offer you the best choices with Complimentary ALOHA ! by, Paula Wagner
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND RESERVATIONS